How to replace lost or damaged Duplicate motor vehicle certificate

How to replace lost or damaged Duplicate motor vehicle certificate

Losing or damaging important motor vehicle documents can be a real hassle. Whether you’ve experienced a change in your vehicle’s chassis or engine number, or simply misplaced your essential documents, you can apply for a duplicate registration or deregistration certificate. This guide will provide you with detailed steps and valuable information to make the process as smooth as possible.

When Do You Need a Duplicate Motor Vehicle Document?

You may need a duplicate motor vehicle document under the following circumstances:

  1. Change in Chassis or VIN: If the chassis number or Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) of your vehicle has changed for any reason, you’ll require a new document reflecting the updated information.
  2. Change in Engine Number: Similarly, if the engine number of your vehicle has changed, you’ll need a document that accurately reflects this change.
  3. Lost or Destroyed Document: In case your original motor vehicle document is lost or damaged beyond use, a duplicate is essential to prove your vehicle’s legality.

Application Process

To apply for a duplicate registration/deregistration certificate, you must visit your nearest registering authority in person. Please note that you should be the title holder of the vehicle for which you are seeking a duplicate document. Here’s a detailed breakdown of the application process:

Step 1: Gather Necessary Documents

  • Ensure you have your identity document with you.
  • Bring proof of your residential address, such as a utility bill. If the utility bill is not in your name, the bill’s owner should make an affidavit confirming that you reside at the address. Attach the utility bill to the affidavit.
  • If you reside in an informal settlement, obtain a letter from your ward councillor with an official date stamp, verifying your residential address.

Step 2: Complete Required Forms

  • You’ll need to fill out the “Application for Duplicate Registration/Deregistration Certificate in Respect of Motor Vehicle (DRC)” form.
  • Additionally, complete the “Declaration in Respect of Lost Documents” form (DCT).

Step 3: Payment

  • Pay the prescribed fee for the duplicate document. The cost may vary, so it’s best to contact your local licensing office for specific pricing details.

Step 4: Issuance of Duplicate Document

  • Once you’ve completed the necessary paperwork and made the payment, the registering authority will provide you with a duplicate document.

Processing Time

The processing time for your duplicate motor vehicle document can take up to seven days. Keep this in mind, especially if you require the document urgently.

Costs and Forms

For accurate and up-to-date information regarding the cost of the duplicate document and access to the required forms, we recommend contacting your local licensing office. They can provide you with the specific details you need to complete your application.

Don’t let the loss or damage of your motor vehicle documents cause unnecessary stress. By following these steps and staying informed, you can efficiently obtain your duplicate registration or deregistration certificate and keep your vehicle documentation in order.


Related Posts